Sunday, February 8, 2009

Three Years Later

Three years ago today I stood in a cold little building and preached my first message to the two members of The Crossing (f.k.a. Soul's Harbor Pentecostal Church)...

My first message to them was "Keep Standing Until the King Arrives."

I told them that the King was on His way...

and He was going to anoint, empower and strengthen them to do so...

The following Sunday, I preached "A Message For The City."

I told them that God was about to revolutionize their church...

They were going to see what they had not been able to see previously...

And we hit the ground running...

Clueless...

Thought we were ready to pastor...

hahahaha

Green as a gourd...

And we kept on pressing...

Trials came...

Opposition arose...

Fear gripped us...

Faith propelled us...

Favor led us...

Discouragement came knocking...

people came...

people left...

I just kinda figured that, since I was such a fantastic preacher, the community would hear about the church...

and the media would want to come and do a feature on the new guy in town...

people would flock to the place...

money would start rolling in...

Talent would begin seeking me out...

yeah...

not so much...

Other opportunities that were much more stable, secure, and prestigious were offered...

but God spoke to me and said, "Do not choose blossoms, son...choose buds"

and the great opportunity was turned down...

friends and family asked me, "Are you crazy?"

no...

just hungry....

The Sunday following this decision...

I sat in my little office and wondered two things...

1.  What can I possibly say to this church today that would encourage them?

2.  Will I ever catch that stupid rat that ate all of my books in this office??

so I gathered myself up and plastered on a smile....

opened the office door and walked out to begin service....

and there sat six new families on our chairs...

God is faithful....

If I could say anything to myself, my family, and my precious church three years later...

it would be...

"Keep Standing 'Till The King Arrives"

He is still coming...

still going to anoint...

still going to revolutionize our church...

still going to show us things we have yet to imagine....

The King is on His way....

Three years later...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're one of my heroes. Pastoring a church, managing a store, and being the father and husband your family needs... My prayers are with you that the Lord will strengthen you to be all that God has called you to be for your city and your family. With HIM, ALL things are possible...
Chris Ferguson

Unknown said...

Proud of you man!!!! Glad to have you in the neighborhood. I was there just a few weeks before you were elected, and yes it was cold in that pulpit.