Monday, January 25, 2010

Don't Get Cocky

Recently I became aware of the incredible hand of God at work again in my life. It was the undeniable favor of my Creator as He began to arrange and rearrange various circumstances and details in order to accomplish His plan for me. I love it when that happens!


Let's be honest... There are days when you do not feel this way. Yes, I am talking to you! You know there are days when you are painfully aware of your human frailties and shortcomings, and feel like God is giving you just enough rope to hang yourself. You might not hasten to admit this, but we all feel alone at some time or another.


But this was not one of those times. I had been seeing the miraculous hand of God orchestrating the events of my ministry like a master director of symphonic melodies. There I was floating along on cloud nine, feeling invincible, to say the least.


My preaching seemed to be flowing without effort. My kids were behaving. My wife seemed to swoon when I entered the room. I was happily enjoying life in the sweet spot.


Then I woke up this morning, and it seemed like I somehow had developed a hate for humanity sometime during the night. What? Where did that come from? No one had offended me, hurt my feelings, stolen from me, etc. I just seemed to be harboring a bitter dislike for humans in general.


As I drove away from the house this morning, I felt God speaking to me, "Don't get cocky, Hotshot."


I was reminded of the story in 2 Chronicles 31 where Hezekiah destroyed all of the idols and other methods of worshipping false gods of that day. He organized the priesthood again, and seemed to be doing all things right. Much spiritual progress was made in chapter 31.


However, chapter 32 begins like this, "After these things, and the establishment thereof, Sennacherib king of Assyria came, and entered into Judah, and encamped against the fenced cities, and thought to win them for himself."


What is the significance of this?


It is a simple reminder to each of us. Don't get cocky!! Many times, we fight our most difficult battles immediately after our biggest wins. There is never a time to relax your mind, spirit, emotions, or body. Just when you think you have finally made the progress you needed to make, you find yourself besieged by an opponent who desires to destroy you.


1 Peter 5:8-11: (The Message)

Keep a cool head. Stay alert. The Devil is poised to pounce, and would like nothing better than to catch you napping. Keep your guard up. You're not the only ones plunged into these hard times. It's the same with Christians all over the world. So keep a firm grip on the faith. The suffering won't last forever. It won't be long before this generous God who has great plans for us in Christ—eternal and glorious plans they are!—will have you put together and on your feet for good. He gets the last word; yes, he does.


or...


Don't Get Cocky. You still need Him.

No comments: