Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Should Christians Boycott Starbucks?


Over the past few days, there has been quite a media buzz surrounding comments made by Starbucks CEO, Howard Schultz, at a recent Starbucks shareholder meeting, regarding the company’s position on same sex marriage.  As a result, the social media world has been on fire with anything from rousing cheers of support to threats of boycott, etc.

Here are a few of the responses I have seen online:

“What a hero!”
“Thanks, Starbucks!”  
“Admirable” 
“Well done!”

And:

Don't think I will purchase anymore!”
“Won't buy another think ... not another drink, not another bag of their coffee, K-cups... nothing.”
“Not another ground...”
Much of the Christian uproar stems from an article written by Joe Miller.  Below is a quote from his article:

"At the Starbucks annual shareholders meeting on Wednesday, CEO Howard Schultz sent a clear message to anyone who supports traditional marriage over gay marriage: we don't want your business."  Restoring Liberty - Joe Miller

You can find the story, with quotes from Schultz at Forbes.com

To summarize, Schultz responded to a critical investor who blamed recent sales performance on the company's stance regarding gay marriage. I paraphrase, "we got you a 38% return. I'd you don't like that, sell your shares and invest on another company." 
Starbucks has never hidden their support of the gay rights movement. We all bought coffee then.  Schultz did not state that Starbucks does not want the business of those who support traditional marriage.  He simply replied to an investor that, if he thought he could get a better return, then he could sell his shares and invest elsewhere.

Nothing to see here.  Bottoms up, folks...

Let me be clear, I support traditional marriage between one man and one woman, and believe, according to Scripture, that all intimate relationships other than this are outside the parameters of God’s plan for our lives.

However, in the interest of fairness, there are members of my family who probably disagree with my viewpoint of marriage (and a multitude of other Biblical, social, and political issues), but I still attend the family reunions, birthday parties, and Easter egg hunts.

There are likely members of my local municipal government who oppose my viewpoint, but I do not boycott curbside trash pick-up or street lights.

Home Depot supports gay marriage, but lumber, paint, and carpet really make my house a more pleasant habitation.

Google supports gay marriage.  I can see which search engine brought you to this blog post; don’t lie! :)

Apple supports gay marriage.  I like my MacBook and iPad.

Microsoft supports gay marriage also, so you Windows users in the back of the room can pipe down!  Ha!

Do I agree with Schultz and Starbucks’ position on the issue of same sex marriage?  Absolutely not.  Will I boycott their business?  Absolutely not.

They sure do make good coffee. In fact, I am starting a Bible Study at one in a few days. I honestly hope they do well in business, because they provide a great venue for me to study and teach the Bible.  Many people who visit Starbucks need God in their lives.  I know God.  Winner, Winner!

Christians, the message that you want to share with society is not, “I will take my ball and go home!”  

Rather, the message should be, “I strongly disagree with you on this issue.  Here is why.  Would you like cream & sugar?”

There is a better way than boycotting for Christians to stand their grounds.  (See what I did there?)

Did I mention this blog was written while sitting at Starbucks?

Feel free to comment below.




6 comments:

Natalie Hood said...

Great view - and I don't just stay that because the thought of having to go a week without my White Mocha Latte makes me feel slightly faint and out of sorts! When all of this came out, I asked my husband if we should boycott (I admit, I was praying that he would say no!). His response was very sound. We should go together and show them what joy a traditional marriage can bring. Light shines brightest in the dark! Amen and Amen

Kris Prince said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amberleath said...

Well, said!!! Very well, said! : )

Anonymous said...

I've read the article(http://joemiller.us/2013/03/starbucks-ceo-no-tolerance-for-traditional-marriage-supporters/) & The CEO told a stockholder, who's notably anti-gay marriage, that if he had a problem with Starbucks supporting the movement he should sell his stocks and go elsewhere. Which seems pretty reasonable to me. If you don't like what a company is supporting, don't keep stock in the company.

How that turns into Starbucks not wanting business of anyone who supports traditional marriage I can't figure. Starbucks being against traditional marriage makes about as much sense as anyone else being against gay marriage.

In fact, I think the author takes the CEO's words and applies them out of context. If the CEO began refusing customers who were Christians, or made company policy to not sell coffee to seminaries or church functions or something, THEN maybe the author's conclusions would stand. As it is, this seems like a little bit of intolerance-mongering.

The CEO (and company) have the right to decide their own values, just like Christian organizations do. It is not surprising that those are in conflict, and the fact that they are does not mean intolerance is happening on either side.

Anonymous said...

I find the way our so called "professional" media reports on ths subject is the real problem. With headlines such as CEO gives investor "the smackdown", just fuels the flames. I like SStarbucks, but being from New Orleans, I am a fan of our local neighborhood coffee shops...where REALLY GREAT coffee is brewed.

Lisa M said...

I just read this again and I still think it's the greatest rebuttal I've seen! Luv it!