Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Buds or Blossoms?

The other day, it fell my lot to do some work around the church...

Easter is coming...

Need to fix up the flowerbeds and freshen them up with new colors, etc.

My day led me to Houston Garden Center...

There I began to browse through the different plants and shrubs which were available...

While examining a particularly beautiful blooming shrub, the individual who was with me made the statement...

"When choosing the proper plant for your garden, do not look at the blossoms, but rather the buds."

I was astounded at the simple wisdom of this statement...

It matters very little what is blossoming on the plant right now...

The more important thing is the potential for future blooms...

What is there right now will wither away...

But the buds indicate the life held within the plant...

When facing decisions...

and choices...

regarding the future of your life, family, and ministry...

Choose buds over blooms...

There may be a place available that looks great NOW...

But what will it look like when the current blooms are no longer present...

and there are no buds on the branch...

Choose buds...

Buds do not beautify immediately...

Buds have no smell...

Buds are almost invisible to the casual observer...

However, buds are the indication of a secure future...

Blooms look good now, but wither quickly...

Someone reading this is facing a decision regarding your future...

Choose the buds rather than the blossoms...

4 comments:

Pastor R Kent Smith said...

good ritin bud.....

Views From The Cross said...

thanks...

This is my story this week.

I used this tonight at church in answer to one of the ladies question, "Why have you stayed?"

Just a thought said...

As I was reading this my mind returned to an image of many years ago in the back yard of my pastor. A young evangelist was making some of life’s hard decisions. My pastor told him to pick a rose bud and open it! The lesson is to just let life unfold in the blessings of our God.

Mervi
http://passthisway.blogspot.com/

Trent Smith said...

Boi you just growing in the Lawd and becoming a good writer. lol. You go ahead David Benard! Write them books.